Money Habitudes Card Deck for Adults
Money Habitudes cards are a great money conversation starter and money personality test. A fun, hands-on tool, the activity makes it easy for people to talk about money. People quickly come to understand how their spending habits, attitudes and values affect their financial decisions. The engaging cards are used and trusted by many professionals, including financial educators, financial planners, therapists, marriage counsellors, career coaches and marriage educators, among others.
This new and improved version is designed for adults, 25 and older. (For Young Adults 18-25, see Money Habitudes II Card Deck for Young Adults 18-25) Because it’s written at a 5th-grade reading level, it makes reading faster for everyone and can be used with low-literacy audiences.
Used by individuals, couples and groups, the award-winning cards can be used in a variety of ways:
- A financial ice-breaker or money conversation starter; typically 5-15 minutes
- A standalone activity of 30-90 minutes. Each person completes a simple sorting process that takes 10-15 minutes and then interprets the cards. The card sort quickly provides a powerful understanding of one’s money personality type.
- A module within a larger class or series. This may be marriage retreats, financial planning, communication skills, budgeting and financial education classes, life skills, and career training.
What people like about Money Habitudes cards:
- Easy to learn, easy to teach, and easy to understand.
- An interactive alternative to lectures, workbooks and PowerPoint, which makes using them more fun and engaging.
- Spur important conversations about the interaction between lifestyle, values and finances that make subsequent skills lessons more relevant.
- Complement other financial and relationship education programs.
Each deck is a complete toolkit and includes:
- 3 blue sorting cards: Side 1 has Thinking Points/Discussion Ideas and Side 2 is the sorting cards for playing Money Habitudes solitaire.
- 1 green instructional card: Instructions for the most popular, Money Habitudes Solitaire, plus other options to use the cards.
- 8 yellow interpretation cards: These provide valuable clues about subconscious thoughts, feelings and patterns influencing financial behaviours. Two general cards provide an overview. Each of the six Habitudes has its own interpretation card which includes the message, a description of how others may see a person with that Habitude, advantages and disadvantages. On the back of each card are suggestions for the next steps if that Habitude is being overused. (Guidebooks are also available to provide more information and options.)
- 54 white statement cards: Each of the six Habitudes has nine corresponding cards. Each is coded on the back with a colourful picture to identify the money personality type (Habitude) with which it is associated.
For best results, use one deck of cards per person so everyone has his or her own money personality assessment results. Therefore, use two decks for a couple or 10 decks for a class of 10 people.
Designed to last, the durable laminated cards can be used over and over.